Monday 20 September 2010

Finished - DOMINO BOOK


At last my Domino Book is finished – the dominoes I found are small, my artist flair isn’t very good with something this small….but all good for that important learning curve of what suits you best.
I have realized that I need to start thinking smaller, when collecting or making embellishments etc.
I started by covering the dominoes with white paper serviettes, giving a slightly rough texture, then painted them with gold acrylic paint – I found a bracelet which had metal elements, suitable for a fastening, it has 2 sets of holes, I threaded gold elastic through these holes, to fasten the book keeping it closed these loops can be pulled over the ends. A small pink butterfly is part of this fastener. I attached it to the front cover domino with Jo Sonja’s texture paste, it took a while to dry and it is rock hard and securely attached.
I cut the pages from a sturdy paper, cut them the width + double the height of the dominoes, folded each in half. Found some pink ribbon, which matched the butterfly, glued the ribbon inside each folded page leaving a little bit showing between each for a hinge this worked extremely well, without too much bulk, I left spare ribbon at each end to attach to domino covers. The pages lie nice and flat.
I covered these pages with gold luster fabric and scrapbook paper of small stenciled roses, I tried unsuccessfully to stamp on the fabric, it rubbed off, a mistake not to be repeated, but as a newbie that’s the best way for me to learn! So I used patches of white paper printed with the words “LIVE “LAUGH” & “LOVE”. Finally I attached the ribbon ends to the inside of both Domino covers, using a grey paper that I have embossed a gold butterfly onto, this butterfly is a tab that lifts up, underneath are the details of this swap.
My book is a very simple and easy design. I hope my swap partner likes it. I have enjoyed the challenge of making this wee book, am happy with the outcome. My best critics – my children – both say it is very nice – high praise indeed as they are rather too honest at times!

No comments:

Post a Comment